1. Leaving the decision to the last minute and therefore not carrying out adequate research on the options available.
2. Having an informal arrangement with a family friend who is unaware of the significant commitment involved.
3. Appointing an individual who is located a long way away from school and therefore unable to attend events such as parents' evenings, on behalf of parents.
4. Signing up to a Guardianship organisation that does not recognise your child as an individual and therefore does not provide a service specifically to their needs.
5. Having an arrangement in place that does not allow for emergencies, leading to undue stress to parents and the child.